I was walking out to the the studio to send my 3 on THU newsletter. My wife Heidi was baking my favorite muffins. I told her I only had two things to share this week instead of three, and I wasn’t sure what to do. “How about sharing this recipe?” So, without further ado, here’s here’s Heidi’s Vegan Zucchini Banana Muffins Recipe, courtesy of Heidi Espe.
Heidi’s Vegan Zucchini Banana Muffins
(Adapted from Isa Chandra Moskowitz)
These muffins are perfect for when you are overloaded with your garden’s summer squash. If you have a thousand zucchini or yellow squash, make a giant batch of these muffins and freeze them. They keep well in the freezer for months. There are add in options below and they all make for delicious varieties. But these muffins are also excellent without anything added. Try a plain muffin with a tablespoon of nut butter on top. Yum.
1/4 c unsweetened applesauce
1/4 c canola or grape seed oil
3/4 c cane sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1 c grated summer squash (approx. 2 medium or 1 large zucchini or yellow squash)
Re: squash— I peel it first with a vegetable peeler, and then grate it finely on a box cheese grater. The finer the zucchini pieces, the smoother the muffins taste.
Also, do NOT squeeze out excess liquid— that moisture is the secret ingredient!
1 1/2 c whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
Optional ad ins:
1/2 c roasted, chopped pecans
1/2 c Golden raisins
1/2 c chocolate chips plus more to top
1/2 frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Mash or purée banana. Add applesauce, oil, sugar and vanilla. Mix well with wooden spoon or in a mixer. Add in grated zucchini & mix evenly.
- Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl (flour, cinnamon, cardamom, baking soda and salt) and gradually add to wet mixture as you stir. Stir until evenly combined. Add optional ingredient(s) if using and stir to combine.
- Measure 1/4-1/3 c batter per muffin. If using chocolate chips, sprinkle a few extra on top and gently press into the batter.
- Bake for 30-35 min. Let cool for 10 min. before transferring to wire cooling rack.