We celebrate Pizza Friday every week (here’ why) and Heidi makes these breadsticks. It’s her own take on the Olive Garden’s copycat recipe. Try it out and let us know how it goes!
For the dough:
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary (skip if you only have dried rosemary)
- 16 ounces (about 3 1/3 to 3 1/2 cups) bread flour or a split of whole wheat flour
& all purpose flour
For the topping:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1. In the bowl of a standing mixer, combine the water, yeast, sugar, and olive oil. Add in the salt. Attach the dough hook to the mixer and begin to gradually add the flour and minced rosemary (if using) on low speed. Increase speed to medium and knead the dough for about 7 minutes, or until it is smooth and elastic.
- Remove the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Divide the dough into 12 (2 ounce) portions. Roll each piece of dough into a 7-inch log. Place the dough logs on nonstick baking mat or parchment-lined baking sheets, cover, and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Bake for about 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and immediately brush with olive oil. Combine the salt and garlic powder and sprinkle evenly over breadsticks. Serve warm.